BARBARIAN opening | Family animation and live-action movies | September 9 to 11, 2022 weekend
Opening weekend box office, charts and commentary
The current weekend: September 9 to 11, 2022
1) Barbarian opening
- This is a good opening for an original, single-episode horror film. The weekend figure is somewhat above average and reviews are sensational. As we’ve seen with other recent original horror movies, overseas box office is fair; we expect Barbarian to do average foreign numbers, with help from several European cast members:
- Horror remains a sturdy genre. Thus far in 2022, the list includes Nope (over $160m worldwide so far), The Black Phone (over $158m), and Scream 5 (over $140m). These are relatively inexpensive and profitable movies that are enjoyed best on a big screen and in a dark room with strangers.
2) Family animation and live-action movies
- Below is a summary table of family animation and live-action wide releases. There are three family films between now and the end of the year (Lyle Lyle Crocodile 10/7, Strange World 11/23, Puss in Boots 2 12/21), followed by 12 family films currently scheduled in 2023. As you can see, the numbers have dropped from 2019 and 2018:
- 2019 was the greatest year for family moviegoing in the history of the business — in 2019, family films generated nearly a third of total worldwide box office for all Hollywood movies:
- The movie industry needs a big and thriving family moviegoing business to return to strength. 2023 looks more favorable than 2022, but the volume of films will be half of 2019. Success with families is essential to the long-term health of the business — we consider this to be the biggest production challenge ahead.
Remember to hit the Share button —